Sunday, January 15, 2017

The Church of the Walking Fish

So, a friend of mine posted this on Facebook the other day:

Let's just say it resonated.  And that resonance led me to post the following on my Facebook page:

I am proud to announce my intention to file for tax-exempt status for my new religious endeavor... The Church of the Walking Fish. Hit me up if you're interested in joining the clergy.
And after continuing to think about some more, I decided, "Fuck it, why not?"

So, I am proud to announce (again) my intention to file for tax-exempt status for my new religious endeavor... The Church of the Walking Fish.

I have no idea what the tenants of the church are just yet, but I promise you they won't be as silly as most of those other churches, and won't be as antagonistic as any of those other churches, and we'll probably just devolve into another one of those groups whose ultimate goals are humanistic and logical in nature.  No deified births here, folks.  No resurrections, either.  And certainly no raptures.

Also, perhaps sadly, no drunken or angry gods stabbing their wife-gods with pointy objects and making islands and continents from her blood and flesh.  But, also, no stupid boats big enough to carry the evolutionary history of planet Earth.

Win some, lose some.  You know how it goes.

Anyhoo... the first order of business to appoint the first disciple, and that shall be Tom at Half-Moose with a Twist.  He shall be henceforth known as Littoral Tom, the Literal.  And ye shall revere him as a friend and human being!

The second order of business is to properly attribute the creator of the cartoon that caught my attention, and that is Dan Piraro.  Go check out his Bizarro! comics.  You'll probably love 'em.

You can find this original comic here.

Stay tuned, loyal followers.  We shall soon be a force to be... tolerated!

4 comments:

  1. and this is great, because you don't have to come up with some crazy origin story. It's already been discovered and written by brilliant paleontologists and scientists who do that science stuff. How lazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We both know I'm extremely lazy, Littoral Tom, the Literal.

      Delete
  2. he's not the messiah; he's a very naughty boy

    ReplyDelete

Irreview, Book Review: The Story of Earth

I've been a science nerd for a long, long time.  Physics was probably my favorite science subject in high school (perhaps other than oce...