Thursday, January 5, 2017

Photos from Australia, 2016, Part XI: Remembrance Day

This one's probably going to be boring for most of you (if anyone even comes here anymore).  But, thanks to some serendipitous timing, I wound up walking into the Australian Armour and Artillery Museum on Remembrance Day (Veterans Day, for us American types).

Just outside of Cairns (and near the SkyRail), such a museum seems to be misplaced, but I found it kinda cool.  And it was nice to pay some respects on an appropriate day.

Shelves full of die-cast models.  Of tanks, mostly.  And other armored vehicles.  Or, "armoured," as the Ozzies would have us believe.

One corner of the museum.  Surprisingly large collection, actually.  And most of the armor is operable.

Ah... flashbacks of mine clearance.

Lots of cannons.  I quite like the Australian ensign, back there.

Lots of half-tracks, too.

There's a spot near the center of the museum where you can climb a stepladder to peer into an armored vehicle.  I took a panorama from that ladder, but it didn't turn out well, so this is all you get.

Oddly enough, I've ridden in some of these...

... like, those two front-left.

There's a small downstairs section with personal weapons and an indoor rifle range.  None of the rifles you can shoot were worth the price, though.  But the displays were well-done.

More guns.

Nippon and Nazi.

That's exactly why I joined!  "Mates and other good stuff!"

A World War I banner of some kind (I think).  I just like it.  Kangaroo meat, by the way, is amazing.  Emu is not.

The cashier's counter.  Clever.

I need this.

You have no idea how much I wanted this.

No comments:

Post a Comment